January 25, 2005

Sideswipe

Sideswipe is a column in our national paper for those funny little things that happen. Right now we have a christian church led by the worst type of evangelical, money grabbing, slick haired creep called Destiny Church and it's associated political party who aspire to be running the country by 2015. Yeah right!

Well, we've just passed a law allowing Civil Unions, a watered down version of gay marriage. Shame we didn't have the guts to just allow the full thing but there you go.

Destiny meanwhile see Civil Unions being the end of any honest marriage and are campaigning heavily. Most people, however, couldn't give a damn.

So then this happens...


Not neighbourly #1. Kate Simpson writes: "I live in Mt Albert with my partner, very happily. I am a lesbian and have so far not suffered any grief from other people, until now. I woke up this morning to find a huge sign plastered in the neighbours' kitchen, aimed directly at us (see photo above). I thought these people, our neighbours, were nice people. We are always friendly to them ... However, they obviously see us as 'sinners' and they wanted to make that known. I do not display my affection to my partner in public, nor in my home where anyone can see. We are quiet and friendly people. What gives these people the right to do this? Every morning now when we wake up or sit in our lounge to watch TV, we have to look at that sign ... I won't let this get to us, but I thought it important to let others be aware of the depth of brainwashing that is out there from this Destiny cult. Perhaps I should buy a huge rainbow flag?"
Apart from the fact that her dimwitted neighbours can't even spell the name of the Church they are blindly following they are allowing it to sway their opinion of real people they actually know. I can understand (while not endorsing) blind fear of something unknown, but this isn't. These are real people that they know. Everytime they go into their own kitchen their own bigotry is reinforced.

So, spleen vented, I hope these neighbours are duly shamed by their exposure. And I hope Kate Simpson is reassured that her neighbours are in an absolute minority.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I've been mulling this over. One of the other big issues is gay couples having children, either through assisted fertility or adoption.

Living in my part of town, certainly not top of the pile, but most people are comfortable, middle class, what would be called "middle america" if it wasn't New Zealand.

The community is a melting pot of religions, races and family structures.

I know several families headed by lesbians well enough to stop and chat in the playground and the difference is marginal. We are all committed to our children, to their outcomes. You'd never know.

Yet I go to a sports night with my children and there is a couple there who are really tough on their wee fella. He cries and gets minimal sympathy when he's tired, hungry, hurt, they pay/bribe him to participate and there seems to be little physical affection or joy between them. Me, I roar at my boy, sure enough, but he gets positive attention as well.

The big difference, I reckon, between the gay families in my neighbourhood, and this family, appears to be economic and the core values of the individuals. Neither of those are affected by their sexuality.

And if that's the big difference then stopping gays from having families won't make an iota of difference.

So Destiny followers, what do you think?

2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home